Monday, August 25, 2008

Why Africa?

So I am leaving for Africa in 2 days and I can honestly say I am not nervous just yet. (once I board the plane it could be a different story...) Last September I was awarded a Rotary Cultural Scholarship to study abroad in Tanzania, Africa. This is truly a once in a life time opportunity for me, and I am so grateful to have the chance to travel half way around the world!

While in Tanzania I will be studying the local language of Swahili on the island, Zanzibar. Zanzibar is about 99% Sunni Muslim and fairly conservative. I am pretty excited to get the chance to be a part of that culture. There is however one Catholic Church on the island and it is in the Diocese of Zanzibar, so I will most definitely be able to go to Sunday Mass every weekend.
While in Zanzibar for my 3 months, I will be living with a home stay family in Stone Town, Zanzibar. The family has 2 children, a 7 year old boy and a 10 month old daughter (who I am told is absolutely adorable). The family owns a catering business on the island, so hopefully the food will be appetizing. And I do know that they speak a little English, but I will be trying to develop my Swahili skills while in the house.

But as mentioned earlier, I will be leaving the USA on August 27th and after stops in Chicago, London, and Nairobi, I will finally reach my destination in Zanzibar. I do know that I will have Internet access over there, but maybe not everyday. However, I will be updating my blog regularly for those of you who want to know about all my exciting adventures in Africa! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

City Yogin said...

Good Luck, Kim! It was so great talking to you last night and I hope you have a wonderful time in Zanzibar! Be safe, take advantage of every moment and send me that address whenever you can. Love you lots!

Jamie

Fr. Gaurav Shroff said...

Vaya con Dios! Can't wait to hear all about it! G

Nancy said...

Guess who else is on your malaria medication. That's right. Due to a tick bite over the weekend, the doctor has given me the same medication as you are taking. They are concerned about Lyme disease since it is so prevelant in Mississippi. They say to take it with food or you may get nauseated. How are you feeling since taking it?

Mom